Newsflash

The new university campus, currently in construction at Stockwell Street in Greenwich will excitingly be the new home for the School of Architecture, Design and Construction in 2014. The Stockwell Street campus will provide a new library, an excellent Architecture Studio space, 14 roof gardens, television studios, sound studios, a photography studio, animation studios and editing suites. Want to know the latest from the Stockwell Studio, check out this blog every fortnight here on the page tab titled Stockwell Street.


Saturday 20 October 2012

Ben Nicholson Interview and other Links


Excerpt from interview. Ben Nicholson recounting his student days:

"Libeskind mentioned I should look at the drawings of Jean-Jacques LeQueu and all of the French Revolution-era architects. I got the book and realized this does look interesting! I started producing - producing work with an ecstatic addiction. I made this project that was sited at Trafalgar Square with these creatures and animals, which included a text about these buildings that were in the shape of creatures, such as the consumption bird, the palindromic urinator"

image Left: Jean-Jacques Lequeu, Section perpendiculaire d'un souterrain de la maison gothique
Right: Jean-Jacques Lequeu, Elevation of the tomb of Porsenna, king of Etruria, known as the Tuscan Labyrinth, 1792


I wanted to go to Paris to investigate these LeQueu drawings closer. Once again a girlfriend - I told her I want to see these drawings, and she said, "Well go and see them," and I say, "I don't have any money." She was traveling there the next day by airplane and said, "Why don't you come with me and go on your bicycle." I said, "Okay I'll race you." This is at 9 o'clock at night after a bottle of wine and literarily I ran downstairs got on my bicycle and I just started cycling to Paris. And this bicycle was an old five-speed or something. It wasn't even a ten-speed - it was a trash bike. I was fit at that time - I mean domestic fit, I didn't exercise or anything. I got on to the five o'clock ferry from Dover to Calais, got to the other side and just started cycling. When I was overcome with exhaustion I'd pull over to the side sleep in a ditch, eat a bar of chocolate, and get on the bike. [Laughs] Anyway, I arrived at 3 o' clock in the morning the next day, like 32 hours riding or something, solid cycling. In the middle of the ride - in the middle of the evening, a beautiful evening, the pedal freezes up, and I had no tools or anything. [Laughs] So I limped into this farmyard and this farmer - just as in America, they can fix anything. He took the pedal off and replaced it with a pedal from his daughter's tricycle. [Laughs] And I say, 'Thanks buddy I'm out of here!'"

here is link to whole interview:

http://archinect.com/features/article/14916/ben-nicholson-s-faith-based-initiative

His Labyrinth project where he draws every possible Labyrinth


image courtesy of 'Design boom'

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/4060/venice-architecture-biennale-08-ben-nicholson.html